While crime rates have fallen in some areas of the city over the last couple of years, in others they have continued to rise. Burglaries are a significant problem for local residents in many suburbs, making the topic of home security more important than ever before. Wherever you live in Perth, you can follow the suggestions in this article to make your property less vulnerable to potential intruders and if you run a business in the area, you can improve the security of your commercial premises by implementing some or all of the recommendations that follow.
Don’t Be an Easy Target
Most burglars focus their attention on properties they perceive to be easy targets, i.e. those homes and commercial buildings whose owners have failed to take even the most basic of security measures. With this in mind, we thought it would be a good idea to start our short guide to business and home security in Perth by looking at the simplest steps you can take.
- Install a Reinforced Front Door – When you consider the fact that roughly a third of all burglaries involve a forced entry via the front door, this is the obvious place to start your home security improvements. There are many high-quality doors available and if they are installed by an experienced professional, any one of them could make your home or business premises more secure.
- Lock Your Windows – Modern double-glazed windows are fitted with good quality locks but many people compromise the security of their properties by neglecting to take advantage of this fact and leaving their windows unlocked. Try to develop the habit of locking all your windows whenever you leave your home or commercial premises vacant.
- Get to Know Your Neighbours – If you are on friendly terms with other residents or business owners in your neighbourhood, your property will be less vulnerable when you are not there. Neighbours who know when you are there and when you are away can look out for suspicious activity and call the police if they believe that someone may be trying to break in.
- Buy a Dog – It may be a suggestion that you have heard a hundred times before but there is a very good reason for this: a barking dog is a highly effective deterrent that will invariably persuade less determined burglars to look for easier pickings elsewhere
Take Advantage of Modern Technology
Having taken the measures suggested above, the next thing you should do is to take a closer look at the wide variety of security devices on the market today. A property that is fitted with some kind of security system in Perth will be a much less attractive proposition to burglars than one without any form of protection.
- Electronic Security Systems – A system that includes a number of strategically positioned infra red motion sensors is an excellent deterrent and in the event that somebody does attempt to force an entry, will raise an audible alarm that alerts neighbours to the presence of intruders in your home. Such systems offer a relatively inexpensive way to add an extra layer of security to both homes and business premises in the city. There are many from which to choose but the main thing to bear in mind when making your selection is that the company who performs the installation is just as important as the system itself: a poorly installed system will be far less effective than one that has been fitted by a team of highly experienced professionals. A firm that specialises in business and home alarms for Perth residents will be best placed to carry out the necessary work.
- Security Cameras – Surveys show that the majority of burglars will think twice about attempting to enter a property that is protected by cameras, with over half reporting that they would not proceed with a plan to burgle a property should they discover the presence of cameras. If you would like to discourage local criminals from even thinking of burgling your home or commercial premises, it is therefore well worth talking to a firm that supplies and fits CCTV systems in Perth. Furthermore, in the event that intruders do manage to gain entry to your home, the chances of police apprehending them will be significantly increased if you can provide high-resolution footage of the incident. Finally, the cost of high quality security cameras in Perth has dropped in recent years, which means they are now an affordable option for both homeowners and commercial organisations in the city.
- Comprehensive Security Audit – The best way to ensure that your home or business is fully protected is to have it surveyed by a team of industry experts and to follow their recommendations if any improvements are required. While this may seem like an expensive undertaking, especially if you have other property improvements you would like to carry out, it is undoubtedly one of the best investments you can make. A secure home or business will give you peace of mind and the money you spend on any other improvements will be protected by your new security measures. As a local company that specialises in high quality alarm and CCTV installation in Perth we are able to both recommend enhancements to security and to implement them at a competitive price.
At Castle Security, we have helped hundreds of local homeowners and business proprietors to make their properties more secure and would be delighted to do the same for you. Just call or email us to let us know your requirements and we can put together a proposal for a system that will ensure your home is fully protected for a competitive price. When you work with our experienced security system and security alarm Perth specialists, you can be sure that your property will be protected by the latest technology and your systems will be fully tested once they have been installed, to make sure that everything is functioning as it should.